Saturday, March 21, 2009

New Heights!

Today we soared to new heights in many respects, as we embarked on an impressive, all-day journey to around 14,000 feet. Fortunately, the high altitude did not have a major impact on me, thanks to natural preventative measures. The maginificent Andes Mountains were breathtaking. Around every bend was a unbelievable display of color, cliffs, mountainsides and villages.

We experienced so much today it is difficult to get it all in, so I will share one of my experiences with you. When we arrived at Union Petrero, a small village about 12,000 feet up, we were greeted by happy indigenous people. You could feel the warmness from their hearts radiating. During the welcoming ritual, we were greeted by the head of the community and presented with beautiful music, delicious food and sombreros. I even got asked to dance. Who would have thought I would have been dancing with a villager in Peru! I think that best part of the dance was trying our best to learn their style of dance. Don't worry, we will have pictures soon!

Loving Peru!

Stacey Doremus

No comments:

Post a Comment